Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Chemotherapy again?

Thank you to CW, Laureh and Zulkifli for your comments and suggestions.
We did talked to our oncologist about avastin and he told us that it is only about 20% effective at this stage. On top of that, it will cost about RM10,000 per treatment per month. Avastin or Bevacizumab works by interfering with the process of angiogenesis. It cuts off the supply of blood vessels to the tumor causing it to shrink.

Dr Ibrahim did suggest the chemo call Nimotuzumab.It is quite new and clinical trials are still on going. Its given by IV infusion and results shows significant benefits for high grade gliomas. I do not know the cost yet.

The other alternative treatment is a combination of DCA and Laetrile. I am still researching on it. DCA or Dichloroacetate is a toxic chemical that can cause imbalance, finger numbness and nerve damage. It did shrink tumor in rats but is not tested on humans yet. Thus it is not approve in US but some Canadian Drs are prescribing it to their patients.

We are still in the wait and see attitude as we just finished our cytotron not long ago. We certainly do not wish to jump into the chemo wagon as it is so toxic and damaging. Moreover Norman have had 6 cycles of Temodar in 2008. We are praying that the cytotron is effective in controlling the tumor growth. Will be repeating a MRI in June.

Dorothy

3 comments:

Jo said...

Dorothy, did u heard before "porcupine stone"? I am not sure it work or not but mayb u can do some research on it. and the most important is get the original one. Hope for God's Miracle and God will Bless Norman.

Unknown said...

Dear Dorothy, we might not know each other. But I've stumble upon your blog after doing a search on DR Lee Foo Chiang a neurologist. Your faith of moving so many mountains has inspired me, not only that, what Normans went through was also strong. I can imaging the hurt, the silent cry and the frustration. I pray that both of you to continue to stay strong and faithful in the Lord with the wisdom and peace of the Lord. His grace and peace be with your family. As for me and my sickness, I'm trusting and hoping my Lord for guidance. Lastly, I'm so blessed to have stumble on your blog.

"When I am afraid, I will trust in you. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can mortal man do to me?" - Psalm 56:3-4

Anonymous said...

Dorothy,
Not sure how helpful this is. Hope you can see this link. It is regarding Oncogene vaccine for recurrent brain tumour published at a conference on brain tumour research. Worth contacting the company to see if Norman can join the trial. If so, cost of medication will be bored by the company.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/encouraging-data-presented-on-oncophager-vaccine-at-international-conference-on-brain-tumor-research-and-therapy-2010-05-20?reflink=MW_news_stmp

All the best.

CW