Monday, November 30, 2009

Physiotherapy and speech therapy

Today is the 6th day after Norman's surgery. He is recovering remarkably well. I started rehabilitation 2 days ago because the earlier rehab is started the faster he will recover. Rehab is critical as it will help his brain to reorganize and recover functions that is lost. Most of the improvement will take place within the first 2 to 3 weeks, so during this time frame I will need total dedication and perseverance on my part as I will be his main physiotherapist cum speech therapist.At the moment, I have arrange a physio to come in 3 times a week for half hour each time($40 per half hour).We have started some tongue exercise. Today Norman was able to count 1 to 50 and recide A to Z with some minor difficulties. It is indeed a mark improvement compared to 2 days ago when he could not talk at all!

For his coordination exercise, I mixed chick peas and black beans together on a tray and get him to pick up the black beans and drop it into a container. He is still very slow but I believe he will improve. He still cannot hold a spoon yet. Sometimes when he tries too hard to tell me something I get him to write it with his left hand.Its difficult and I need all the patience in the world!

Strength and coordination is two different thing altogether. The strength of his right hand is grade4, (grade 5 being the best) but his right leg is rated grade 3. (The tumor is on his left frontal lobe). That means I need to work more on his right leg. I manage to walk him with a walking stick for a few minutes this morning. Hallelujah! He get tire easily, so I cannot push too much. His wounds is still raw and I cannot risk any increase in ICP(intra cranial pressure).

Norman's medication.
Dexametazone 2mg 4x a day. It is an anti inflammatory drug to reduce edema in the brain.
Keppra 250mg 2x a day, Epilim 200mg 2x a day. These are anti fits drugs.
Nootrophil(Piracetam) 2x a day. This drug is credited with improving cognitive functions and memory.
Neuroaid 4 capsules 3x a day. This is a mixture of herbs from China. Extensive clinical trails have been done with it and the results are promising. It improve recovery of speech and other neuro functions by regenerating healthy neurons pathways.

Besides all these medication, I give him a careful selections of natural vitamins and collagen to help boost his immunity and general health.

Thank you all for your uplifting emails, for your comforting word of encouragement and your fervent prayers. I will continue to write when time permits.


God bless,
Dorothy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear Norman is progressing well. Dorothy, you and your family have exhibited the greatest strengths physically, emotionally and spiritually throughout this saga.
yoong choy