Thursday, February 5, 2009

Medical History

14th nov 2007
-Had a seizure of the right face lasting 1-2 mins
-had numbness of the right side
-unable to spell words
-very slow in speech

!6th nov 2007
MRI done. reports show a tumor on the left frontal lobe measuring 4 x 4.5 cm
Diagnosis- glioblastoma multiforme

21st nov2007
craniotomy and excision of tumor done at sunway medical center by Dr Lee Foo Chiang
Biosy report:
The tumor is compose of high grade glial cells exhibitig marked pleormorphism, many tumor giant cells and endocapillary vascular proliferation. Necrosis is seen.
The cells are strongly positive for GFAP and EGFR. MIB-1 activity is seen in about 35% of cells; P-53 mutant protein is seen in more than75% of cells.

17 dec2007-1st feb 2008
30 fractions of radiation therapy completed

march-july 2008
6 cycles of temodar chemo therapy completed

Brain Scan (MRI and MRS)
3rd may 2008- small lesion about 1 x 1.5 cm seen. suggestive of radiation nercrosis
13th sept 2008-lesion now 1.4 x 1.5 x 2.1 cm. still suggestive of necrosis
30th dec 2008- lesion now 2.2 x 2.1 x 3.4 cm. still suggestive of necrosis

3rd feb 2009
Had 2 facial seizure lasting 1-2 min. No loss of consiousness. Admitted to hospital
Put on epillim 200mg 3x/day for fits
Put on steriod 2mg 3x/day for brain edema

4th feb 2009
Brain scan shows enhancing mass of 3 x 3.3cm with cerebal edema. Its a recurrent glioma.It is malignant.

The neurosurgeon suggest craniotomy with insertion of gliadel wafer.

Dear friends, we thank you for your support and prayers at this very trying times. I will update you all on the surgery date. Norman needs to rest more now. Even though depress and worn out, he is putting up a brave front. We will fight this bitter war till the end. God will be with us.

1 comment:

Jon Parks said...

Hello,
You do not know me, but I came across your story via Google. My father (also named Norman) is undergoing his own battle with brain cancer. His particular form is melanoma. In many ways, our stories mirror one another. I am very encouraged to read of your Christian faith. My family, too, has a strong Christian faith and it is our belief in God, his total control over all circumstances and the comfort he provides (directly and through loving friends and family) is a great assurance to us -- as I'm sure it is for you as well. I will lift you and your husband up in prayer as I've read of your challenges. Please know that you are not alone-- I am in the United States and am standing with you and your family at this time.

If you are interested, you can read my father's story in the blog I've been writing: http://www.normanparks.blogspot.com

Lastly, I know that no one can adequately understand the combination of sadness, pain, joy, hope, belief and love that you likely experience on a daily basis. I know, because I'm experiencing it too.

Keep your eyes on God--

Jon Parks
http://normanparks.blogspot.com